Disclaimer:

The contents of this blog are completely mine and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.



Monday, March 14, 2011

How do you take no information and then try to logically guess where you are going? Peace Corps Wiki, that's how!!!

So, what does a person do when they’ve got research skills, a lot of time to kill and an insane need to have information (any information!!!!) on what is going to happen in the next three years of her life?  Well, she tries to logically deduce from available data where she might be going in the Peace Corps and when.
Thanks to all those research methodology and statistics and data analysis classes I’ve taken, I’ve created a matrix of likely possibilities for where I might serve.
If you are an applicant looking to do the same kind of thing (or even just to know which country you might be going to based on your nomination for your program and departure date), I gleaned this information from the Peace Corps Wiki (a fantastic tool!) and used it to try to give myself a sense of where and when I might be going.  I took the data from both the Placement Calculator and the Timeline section of the wiki site. 
I’ve included countries that:
·         Show Invitations with departures in 2011;
·         As of 2009 Peace Corps data had programs in either NGO Development or Community Development.
I’ve eliminated the following:
·         Departures that take place in less than 7 weeks.  I haven’t been reviewed by placement yet and know they give you the requisite 6-week notice;
·         Departures to Spanish speaking countries.  I don’t meet the Spanish language requirements;
·         Departures to French-speaking Africa. I don’t meet the French language requirements.
I’ve prioritized the data by:
·         FIRST: Countries that have both NGO Development and Community Development;
·         SECOND: Countries that have NGO Development only;
·         THIRD: Countries that have Community Development only.
I’ve organized the data in each subset in:
·         Descending order by the number of volunteers serving in those countries;
·         I’ve assumed that programs leaving in less than 9 weeks are the least likely (as a result of timing) and so have been moved to the end of each data subset.
WHAT DID I LEARN??
#1 Would be the Ukraine and wouldn’t leave until the end of September (Nooooooooooooooo!!!! On both the place and the date!!!!!)  But there are 31 possible programs in the next six months, so that is good news.  What I don’t know is how many of these still have spots, also, I don’t have data on current programming, so some of these could be no longer operating and there could be new additions.  I will update as more information becomes available.  Was this a helpful exercise?  Yes, at killing time and exerting some illusion of control.  Ultimately I’m still left knowing nothing useful.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Serah! If I ever have a complicated question, I know who to go to first for the best illustion of control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yep, so much time to kill, I may not be able to solve it, but I will make any problem organized and logical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your approach and I share your rationale for creating your chart. I have attempted a slightly different chart with similar results. Namely, not achieving a satisfactory outcome for obtaining specific information, but achieving some degree of RAS relief and feeling productive while killing time.
    In the process of searching for clues, I learned two things that you didn't mention in your posting; 1)- There are a lot of discrepancies between the official PC site and the PC Wiki site regarding what programs are in each country, and 2)- PC Placement is now using an 8 week cut-off prior to staging (according to my recruiter's recent follow-up information plus word from my medical review nurse and two placement assistants).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lew, so glad you were inspired as well! I think the discrepancy in programs has to do with the wiki data being from 2009, but I didn't have the energy to dig through every country on the official site. And good to know on the 8 weeks! Good luck and happy adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, the outdated (2009) info on the PC site is probably the cause of most of the discrepancies and I had thought of that, but it is the only 'official' information available that I know of.
    Have you noticed that some of the staging dates have changed after a pattern of being the same/very similar over recent years? I would imagine that some of the current civil unrest in some areas of the world are partly the cause. I have also picked up tidbits within some PCJ postings of PCVs in varrious countries indicating some administrative changes among PC leadership in some countries. I have also gotten the sense that ETs have increased in some countries and this is causing PC to make some changes. All of this probably has slowed some of the placement process. There are likely a whole lot of other things about which we will never know. Keep sharing information.
    Best wishes to you in everything ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serah-

    I found your posting through Mike Sheppard, a Peace Corps Recruiter, via Facebook. You should know that I love statistics and spreadsheets a lot, so I can see the value and creativity in what you have done here. What I hope though is that you are able to look forward to your invitation with an open mind. I served as a volunteer in 2005 and I can tell you that when I received my invitation I had to double-check a map to make sure I actually knew exactly where I was heading. I went in without any expectations of a "top choice" or "best program", just with the idea that where ever I was sent and whatever I was asked to do it would be an adventure.
    I can promise you that this open mindedness helped immeasurably when I was frustrated or confused or homesick. I wasn't able to fall back on the thought that I wouldn't be feeling that way if I had been placed in a "better" country.
    I can tell from the care you put in to developing this tool that you care a lot about your participation in the Peace Corps and for this reason they are lucky to have you. Just try to at least consider the idea that you will love wherever you are sent (most of the time), and you will hate wherever you are sent (some of the time) and that handicapping yourself with top choices may only lead to you having a harder time sinking in to your own unique placement when it does come.

    Best wishes for a great adventure,

    Emily
    Bangladesh (2005-2006)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the post Serah. From my experience the Spanish and French language requirement is not set in stone. I know RPCVs who served in Spanish and French speaking coutnries that had zero background in either language. Needless to say those countries may still be on the table for you. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah-I actually narrowed down my search in the same way as you. I needed to finish my americorps service which threw my placement off by 1 month. When I finally spoke to the placement officer-he asked me if i was willing to leave Sept 22nd to eastern Europe. I was so excited I just said yes. I went back to PCWiki and found that I couldve been in either Ukraine (a no for me as well) or Azerbaijan (didn't even consider it). I just got my Invitation and I'm going to Azerbaijan. I looked upwards about 10 days and saw that Macedonia (where i thought I would ideally like to be) was leaving and doing community development. I'm stewing a bit on this invitation. I have 1 full day to accept or decline it. I REALLY want to change..but it's obvious that a black girl selecting to go to "supposedly racists' eastern europe has no bargaining rights. I think it's best that I take the advice of Emily and just keep an open mind. I'm happy though..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Lew: Interesting, I hadn't noticed the shift in departure dates! I wonder if that has something to do with all of the additional programming added with the influx of money into the Peace Corps during the last budget cycle.

    @ Emily: Thanks for your thoughtful comments. It's funny how a blog that I figured was for myself and my family and close friends is getting passed around so much. I am staying very open minded, but I am very curious to find out where I will go. I do know that having left a career to pursue this dream, I want to do something that I can justify professionally when I return. That said, I can't wait to hear my placement.

    @ Malaika: Congratulations on getting an invitation! I wish you all the best and I hope that this assignment turns out to be exactly the thing you were meant to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should never rule out a French-speaking country. People (occasionally over) qualified to serve in other language skilled-areas (like Chinese, Russian, Spanish, etc.) end up serving in French-speaking countries. There's always at least 10% of PCTs who start off with zero or basic French (Bonjour? Ca va?) in francophone countries because of the high demand.

    If you are invited to a francophone country, do not be dismayed. It means that the placement people have confidence in your ability to adapt.

    ReplyDelete